Tuesday

If You are Rich, I'm Single

   
"Our wrongs remain unrectified,
And our souls won't be exhumed" -Sing for Absolution


    It was the second day of Raya, and I was extremely bored. On that very hot day, I happened to be alone and was in charge to babysit the kids. My aunts and uncles visited Pak Itam who was sick in Melaka. The kids were outside, playing Pop-pop firecrackers while I watched a movie. I was wearing a pair of shorts. Since the day was quite hot, I didn't wear what one would wear appropriately when one stays in kampong, mind you.

     Then suddenly, I heard my 6-year-old nephew shouting from the outside, calling me. I ignored him. Then he came to the room knocking on the door. I was pissed, then I opened the door. I looked at him with a very fierce look. He told me that my friends were waiting for me outside. I asked him if he was sure that those people outside were indeed my friends. He nodded confidently. 

      So I wondered, if they were my friends, they would have called me before coming. But then I guessed they might be old friends who had lost my number. Anyway friends of mine piously come to my kampong almost every Raya, so it was of no wonder. I also imagined that they were boys. I forgot to ask my nephew about that. So I grabbed a grey T-shirt, purposely picked, just in case the ones who were waiting for me were boys. I looked into the mirror, and practiced what I would say to them.

     Then I walked out of the room and headed outside. At the same time, my mind was visualizing the possible candidates who were waiting for me outside. 'Boys. Boys.' I hoped.

     But the truth was way too far from my imagination. When I stepped outside, I saw four old men with long beard in jubah. I was shocked, dumbstruck, flabbergasted, stupefied, and whatever. They were shocked, too. They stared at me, who was in shorts, and then read the print on my T-shirt; 'If You Are Rich, I'm Single'. After a moment of silence, they greeted and started talking. They were tabligh (very religious type of people) from Pakistan, and they came to share some knowledge about Islam.

If I knew that they were tabligh, I would have come out with proper attire.

p/s: Haziq, how the heck did you get the idea that they were my friends???  T_T